We have put the turkey away and the pumpkins have been thrown out. In the last few days we have shopped and put up our Christmas trees, the radio has begun to play non-stop Christmas music. There is no denying the season has arrived.
This season is met with so much anticipation and it isn’t just my kids that feel it. Christmas is truly my favorite time of year…not just the day but the whole season. That may be the reason why I treasure Advent. Advent is the anticipation in our waiting, not just waiting for a day but waiting for Jesus.
Whether you are beginning your Advent Bible studies today or on December 1st we must have time to prepare our hearts for the season of Advent. We must pause long enough to see our greatest needs, our greatest hurts of the year and our greatest worries about the future and lay them at the feet of God Almighty.
In the coming days before we begin to study God’s Word together, we must seek Him earnestly in prayer. I encourage you to take some time each day and devote it to prayer…
Here are some things to consider praying about in the coming days:
- A Teachable Heart – ask God to open your heart to His Word and allow the Spirit to teach you.
- Commitment – Ask God to help you remain committed and engaged in study and prayer daily during the season of Advent.
- Cast your Cares – Friend, there is much we have worried about this year, don’t let those worries hinder your time…give them all to Him and He will sustain you and uplift you.
- A Clean Heart – Lay it all down before the Lord as you begin this intimate time with God.
- Your Family – Don’t forget those sweet ones around you who will hopefully be journeying Advent with you this year.
- Linger – Ask the Lord to help you linger with Him each day and to wrap you in His beautiful presence.
As you pray, know that I am praying for you as well…praying for an incredible move of God in your life.
Don’t forget to purchase your PDF download of our He is Here Advent Bible study that begins December 1st. When you purchase the study you are entered into our Advent giveaway, plus access to free Advent resources. Don’t forget to join us right here on Displaying Grace for daily encouragement, activities and extra devotions. Also join us on Instagram (@Displayinggrace) and Twitter (@Displayinggrace) using the hashtag #DGAdvent (unfortunately, if your account is private I will be unable to see your posts).